Saturday, February 16, 2008

Vet embarrassed by Bush's actions

The following letter by our Vice-President Irv Ottenberg appeared in the San Jose Mercury News on Friday Feb. 15:

As one who served in the armed forces of this nation from October 1942 to June 1954, I wish to congratulate your editorial board for having the courage to print the editorial condemning the use of torture by the present administration. I can think of almost nothing that is so against what America stands for and what many of us served to defend. I served this country because I loved it and what it stood for, but I am now embarrassed by the actions of our president. This country has the capacity to once again be the beacon to lead other countries to assure all people are treated in a humane way and that the basic dignity of all is preserved, but we must be careful to elect people who believe in these principles.

Irwin Ottenberg
Soquel